12.09.2008

Last Night..

I made Chicken Tortilla soup for dinner! I didn't follow a recipe so i wrote down the things i did as i went along. It was fun not following a recipe and seeing how it would turn out!




So this is my recipe for some pretty darn good soup:



5 or 6- corn tortillas, cut into strips

6- cups of Chicken broth ( i might do 7 next time, i would like a little more broth)

1- medium yellow onion (about 1 plus some cup)

2-cloves of garlic, minced

1-jalapeno, chopped finely and seeds removed

1-red chili pepper, chopped finely and seeds removed

1-15 oz can of tomatoes with diced green chiles

3-cups already cooked chicken, chopped up or shredded

1-15 oz can of black beans

1 1/4 - cup of frozen corn

1/8 tsp-cumin

A hand full of cilantro leaves without the steams, chopped up.



For the top:

Avacado-sliced

Sour cream

Shredded cheese, any kind

Cilantro



*First I cut the tortillas into strips, placed in oven at 200 and let them dry out a bit ( they will start to curl up when they are good). Then i put some vegetable oil in a pan and fried them up until they were nice and crunchy. Then i put them on a plate with a paper towel so the oil would drain off.

*I then put the onions, garlic, and peppers into the same pan and cooked. I then transfered them into a big pot. I added the chicken, chicken broth, tomatoes at this point and let that simmer for 15 minutes.

*I added the beans, corn, cumin, and cilantro next and let it boil/simmer for another 15-20 minutes. (For a thickening agent, i set a side about 1/4 cup of the beans and smooshed then in a seperate bowl, then added them to the soup along with the whole beans, it seemed to help thicken the soup)



To serve i put some of the tortillas in the bowl, then added the soup on top, then put more tortillas, avacado slices, a dollop of sour cream, some cheddar cheese, and a few cilantro bits.



I would say that all and all my soup turned out pretty good. I can't wait to try it again. And all i can say is that i'm excited for my leftovers tonight!

No comments: