10.25.2010

relay!

So last this past year I was on a team for our local Relay for Life. It was a lot of fun and I was doing it in honor of my grandma who passed away at the beginning of the year from Thyroid Cancer. A few weeks after the Relay this past May I received an email from the Chair of the planning Committee and a friend of my grandmothers asking me if I was interested in being on the next years planning committee! I said Yes, of course!

I have been to two planning committee meetings so far. And this past weekend we all went to a little thing called Relay Academy. I was up before the crack of dawn this Saturday and headed down to Woodland for the event. It was lively, eventful, and moving. We had little classes we had to attend and I feel like I learned alot more about Relay and what I'm going to have to do to be apart of the planning committee for the Nevada County Relay for Life. I'm the chair of the Luminaria. I'm looking forward to figuring out a plan and learning more and more in the upcoming months.

It's going to be a lot of work but I'm up for the challenge!

For more information about Relay for Life go
I think it's a really fun event. It's inspiring and it's heartfelt. Plus you are doing something good for your community, the world, your family, friends and maybe even yourself.

I hope you all had a great weekend. Besides the above I mostly just relaxed at my house and enjoyed the rainy weather. Lots of football games on Sunday (stupid 49ers losing again!) and a birthday Celebration for my Sister.

5 comments:

thegirlhassparke said...

Thats great that you are taking such an active role in organising the event. I have done a few relay for life's in memory of my friends father who unfortunately passed away from skin cancer. This is a great way to keep the memory of your grandma alive.

Erica said...

Go Ash! That's so awesome. I can't wait to see and hear about the finished product. I'm sure you have some great ideas to add to it.... were you one of the younger people there? I just don't imagine people our age really getting involved in this....

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

So COOL :)!

Celeste said...

I know that committees can be so stressful but you're going to have a great time! So excited for you :)

Ashley said...

Thanks everyone!!! I'm looking forward to it!

@erica actually their are about 3 or 4 people that are younger than me on the committee! Pretty surprising. There is a wide range of ages though. Anywhere from about 19 to 70.